Well, you know what they say. The way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, so what better way to spend the day, baking Valentines inspired cakes (basically large, homemade jammie dodgers). The kids and I made a few things, testing out my new heart shaped cookie cutters but these biscuits were by far the tastiest. I fear I am turning into a bit of a feeder with this new found love of baking!
- 250g unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 350g plain flour
- 200g jam
- 150g icing sugar
- Cream the sugar and butter together (softened butter works best) then add the egg yolks and the flour, until you get a nice dough.
- Place the dough in the fridge for one hour. Ten minutes before the dough is due out, preheat your oven to 160C fan oven/180C/Gas mark 4.
- Using half the dough, roll out into a thickness of roughly 1cm and cut into ten shapes. We used circles but larger hearts would also look nice. Cut your smaller heart shape into the middle of your cookie. Place in the oven for ten minutes.
- Roll the other half of your dough out but only cut the larger shapes this time, these will form the base of your biscuit. Bake the bases for ten minutes.
- Once out of the oven let you biscuits cool for thirty minutes. Heat the jam up on a low heat for ten minutes. Spoon the jam generously into the centre of the bases and then place the top of the biscuit onto the base.
- Sprinkle with a little icing sugar through a sieve and you’re done!